My thorax operation

Tomorrow I am scheduled to have an operation in the thorax region.

I left home today, thursday. The taxi came and pick me up at about 6:00 AM. It is a long way to the hospital so I have to sleep for a while.

To be continued when I get there…

I arrive at the hospital at 9:am. I was admitted by a nurse. i submitted my health declaration and medicine list. After a while the surgeon came and we talked at his office. He told me about the procedures of the operation and he showed me also a picture of the tumor which they are going to remove.

Another nurse came to talk to me also and I have answered some questions she had.

Then a physiotherapist talked to me and informed me about things I have to do after the operation. To train the lungs and some movements and activities I have to take to recover fast.

Another step is to talk to the anesthetist. He explained to me about the anesthetic procedure that I have to take before the operation tomorrow.

Finally the enrollment was finished at around 12:00 PM and a nurse came to tell I can go for a walk because my room will be ready at 3:00 PM.

At 3:00 PM I was given a room together with an old lady.

I was given a lock for my dear belongings, a closet and a table with every modern hospitals have. I feel lucky to be treated in this country where I don’t need to pay anything. A free major surgery I must say and at least I know where my tax money is being used.

I was very good taken cared of all the nurse on duties that night. Every thing was check, my blood pressure, blood count, pulse etc.

I took a shower twice using disinfectant soaps twice everyttime and with 5 hours interval. I got new hospital shirts and pants evertime I took a shower.

The next day, I was waken up by the nurses, gave me new shirts and disinfectant to use in the shower. I had to do it twice so the skin will be very clean to protect me from infections.

Exactly 7:35 AM I was driven with my hospital bed to the operating room on the ground floor. The nurses was waiting for me and greeted me so happily. It was like a princess arrival. I felt safe and comfortable. They were around 5 nurses including the anesthetist. After he had given anethesia, I don’t remember anything else. I woke up at around 10:20 AM Waited some minutes to really wake up and drove me again back to my room with many tubes around me. Morfin for the pain in the wound, dextrose, drenage to drain the wound, cateter for the urine since I am still paralized from breast down to the buttom.

At first I was not aware how long they have cut me but I saw later that it was about 20 cm from below my right breast backwards.

I just felt the pain from the wound the day after. I don’t know maybe they sank my dose of morfin. I have taken a lot of medicines. I almost painted when I went to the toilet just about to brush my teeth, so the nurse took me back to the bed immediately took my blood pressure which is very low. They gave me injections and medicine for neusea. I had to do x-ray of my lungs too and the x-ray men came to me instead.

The next day, february 3, after eating breakfast, I was still not feeling well, I am dizzy and feel sick, the nurse gave me a medicine for that and they drove me to the x-ray room on the first floor. I thought I could do it but still felt sick and dizzy. They didn’t handle me very well there, They mishandled me, they didn’t consider that i might have pain.

About 12:30 PM, the doctor came and took out the drenage because I don’t need it anymore. It was about a 12 mm hole after the drenage and she closed it with a tread which was already sewn in there after during the operation. It stings a little but now it’s gone.

February 9, I was moved to another hospital near our place. Before they let me go the nurse removed half of the stitches, a total of 13 pcs.

Now it’s february 14, Valentines day. I was just released from the hospital. I’m waiting for my taxi which my nurse booked for me. He is coming at 1:45 PM, some minutes more.

Arrived home at 2:30 PM…home sweet home! In my own bed at last! Been away for 15 days.


Published by queenkeandra

I am a swedish citizen with asian origin, lives in Sweden, entrepreneur, accountant, fashion designer, dressmaker, professional interpreter and translator and from year 2014, I also became a local politician with some assignments from the local government. I moved to Sweden after marriage with a Swedish national in 1986. Two years later we got a son followed by a daughter after 21 months. Satisfied with life in fact, I guess I got all I wished for, it feels I have everything. Being married is not just a bed of roses, the roses have thorns also and you can get it at times but we’ve always been doing pretty good. Kinder and better husband I do not think I can get, everyone has their flaws and life becomes easier if you can accept them. I’m not a perfect person either. I became a grandmother quite young, only 45 years old, was a little skeptical at first but then I loved to be one. Now I am already a grandmother of two, a boy and a girl of 20 months between them, such a great feeling, it feels like it was a replay of my life. When I have both of them at home, it feels like I was young again and is the mother of small children. I can not explain but so damn good it is. When I moved to Sweden I knew nothing about the country, but now it feels like I’ve always lived here. I speak Swedish better than my native language, better in Swedish grammar than my husband, it may sound strange but it’s true. I dream even in Swedish. I hang out with many Swedes, have worked and still working in Swedish companies. I go to the Swedish church though I am a Roman Catholic. We believe in the same God anyway. I’ve adapted pretty well in Swedish society. I think I have to adjust to that country I moved to, not the country or its citizens to adapt to me. Sweden has no responsibility whatsoever that I wanted to move here so I could not demand anything else, but now a citizen, I think I have the right as any other native Swedes. I pay taxes and do my duties as a citizen. I think I am a good role model and a loyal citizen and can fight for my new country.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: